After an auto accident, the parties involved have an obligation to stop and exchange information with one another. Unfortunately, there are times when the driver who caused the accident will leave the scene of the accident without speaking to the the other party involved or speaking with the police – this is considered a Hit and Run accident.
When this type of accident occurs, the car accident victims may be left with serious financial obligations due to the accident and no one responsible to cover these financial obligations.
Some common reasons people leave the scene of an auto accident include:
• They have been drinking or using drugs
• They don’t have auto insurance or the car is not registered
• They were talking on the cell phone or texting and caused the accident
• They ran a red light or a stop sign
• They panic and leave the scene
If you were involved in a hit and run accident take the following steps if you aren’t injured, if you are injured seek medical assistance immediately.
• Call the police and report the accident and what occurred.
• Give the police as much identifying information that you can remember about the driver of the car, this information should include: the type of vehicle, the color of the vehicle, the model of the vehicle, the license plate number of the vehicle, and any information you have about the appearance of the driver.
• Take pictures at the scene of the accident.
• Try and located witnesses and get their contact information.
If the driver who caused the accident is found, you can file your insurance claim through the at-fault driver’s insurance company, just as you would any other car accident claim. If the at-fault, hit and run driver is found, they will be subject to both criminal penalties and civil liability.
If, however, the at-fault, hit and run driver is never found, you will have to file your insurance claims through your insurance company using your uninsured motorist coverage. In this situation, your insurance company will be the responsible party, so it is important that you file your claim accurately and promptly to ensure that you receive compensation.
You may have difficulty getting compensated for property damage, so if you find yourself in a hit and run car accident situation such as this, it is best to consult with an experienced Rhode Island Auto Accident Attorney to ensure that your rights to coverage are protected.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured, or a loved one killed, in a hit and run, let our Rhode Island Attorney help you navigate the complex legal proceedings.
You’ll find the help you need at the Law Offices Of Ronald J. Resmini, where we have been successfully representing people in personal injury cases for more than forty years.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers have all been designated as “Super Lawyers” or “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers Magazine. Ronald J. Resmini has earned the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
We have won millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for our clients. We are a top-notch Rhode Island Law Firm that knows how to defend complicated cases such as Auto Accidents.
Call the Law Offices Of Ronald J. Resmini today to schedule your free consultation with a Rhode Island Auto Accident Attorney. Pick up the phone and call us now at 401.751.8855.