Fall River Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
Depending on strangers to care for an elderly family member is a difficult choice, but is sometimes it is necessary. Finding a nursing home that provides consistent, quality care is often a difficult task. When families turn to skilled nursing facilities to care for their loved ones, they are trusting that provider with a family member’s life. Unfortunately, nursing home abuse has become a common occurrence in recent years. It is estimated that 2 million cases of nursing home abuse are reported every year, with 1 out of 10 seniors experiencing some type of abuse.
The reality of the situation is that some facilities do not have enough staff or that they employ inexperienced nursing home workers, which can lead to devastating consequences. In the past few years, Massachusetts has made efforts to increase awareness of elder abuse by amending nursing home regulations. Despite these efforts, elderly people who are abused or neglected can sustain severe injuries, illnesses, or even death due to abuse and neglect.
Your family member should not have to endure pain and suffering due to the careless or negligent behavior of nursing home staff. If your loved one has been a victim of improper care in a home, contact the Fall River nursing home abuse attorneys at the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. at (401) 751-8855 for a free consultation. We can help you recover compensation and seek justice.
How a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Can Help
If your loved one is in danger, an experienced Fall River nursing home abuse lawyer can report the incident to the proper authorities. We will take appropriate steps to ensure that your family member’s rights are protected. By filing a nursing home abuse claim, we can help recover compensation for your loved one, as well as help them recover from the pain and emotional trauma they suffered.
A skilled legal team can interview eyewitnesses, review medical records, and move forward with a prompt investigation of the case. In the meantime, documenting all information regarding the incident is important since it is useful in establishing negligence. Because there are strict statutes of limitations for filing nursing home abuse claims, is also important to contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
Why Choose Us?
The Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd., work exclusively on personal injury cases, including nursing home abuse cases. We have five decades of experience representing clients in the Fall River area. When you become our client, you also become an extended member of our family. Our nursing home abuse lawyers will dedicate their time and efforts to working on your loved one’s behalf to ensure that justice is served.
Ronald J. Resmini has 50 years of experience in personal injury law. He is a recipient of the Massachusetts Senior Attorney of the Year award. Other lawyers at the firm include Adam Resmini, who was named a Super Lawyer’s List “Rising Star” from 2011 to 2020, and Sam Sutter, who is a recipient of the Lawyer of the Year award.
We are committed to representing you and your family, both in or out of court. Whether your loved one’s injury was caused by negligence or maliciousness, we can negotiate with the insurance companies and responsible parties to ensure your family member receives the appropriate compensation and damages.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse Cases We Handle
Nursing home abuse cases can range from physical to financial. The cases that we handle cover a wide range of claims, including the following:
- Physical – Physical assault is the most common type of nursing home abuse. This type of abuse includes punching, shoving, kicking, slapping, drugging the patient, or using restraints to control a nursing home resident. Neglecting the patient’s basic needs is another form of physical abuse.
- Emotional/Psychological – This type of abuse involves humiliating, degrading, and threatening residents, which may result in anxiety, fear, or depression on the part of the patient. Emotional abuse can also be verbal, such as ignoring a resident’s request for assistance or leaving the patient in isolation for a long time.
- Sexual – This includes sexual interactions with a patient without their consent, especially if they are physically unable to defend themselves or resist. Sexual assault includes using sexual language, fondling, penetration, or removing their clothing without permission or a need to do so.
- Financial – Financial abuse is when caregivers use the patient’s trust to obtain access to their money. This is achieved by gaining access to bank accounts or debit/credit cards, as well as pressuring the resident to change a will. This may be conducted by a family member, close friend, or even a staff member.
- Health Insurance Fraud – This is another type of financial abuse that occurs in nursing homes. This fraud not only affects the insurance company, but it can also harm a patient’s health when the facility charges an insurer for treatment that the patient needs but then does not provide the treatment.
If you suspect any of these forms of abuse are happening to your loved one, seek help right away.
Potential Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
You owe it to your loved one to be vigilant about the quality of care in their nursing home facility. You need to be aware of the signs of abuse. Potential red flags may include the following:
- Rashes, bed sores, or skin eruptions
- Loss of weight and gaunt appearance
- Noticeable hunger or thirst
- Bruises or welts
- Lack of personal hygiene
- Unexplained injuries (e.g., broken bones, fractures)
- Anxiety, fearfulness, or depression
- Loss or theft of possessions or money
If you notice any of these signs, or any other signs or behavior that seem unusual, do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd., right away. Even if you are unsure, it is better to err on the side of caution and contact us so we can conduct an investigation and determine if abuse is occurring.
Contact our Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Today
If your loved one is a victim of nursing home abuse, you need to contact the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. We will investigate all claims of abuse, whether mental, physical, sexual, or financial, and take the necessary steps to ensure that your loved one is no longer suffering and is safe.
If we find evidence of abuse or neglect, we will help you and your family get the compensation you deserve. Our Fall River attorneys are committed to protecting the dignity and well-being of senior citizens. Call us at (401) 751-8855 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your legal options.