Providence Commercial Vehicle Accidents Lawyers
Motor vehicle accidents involving commercial trucks can be much more devastating than a motor vehicle accident between two personal-use vehicles. Fatal accidents and serious injuries are much more common in accidents involving commercial vehicles due to the size and weight of commercial vehicles which average 3,000 – 10,000 pounds.
Statistics show that 86% of people killed in commercial vehicle accidents are the people in the smaller vehicles. In tractor trailer accidents, 98% of fatalities occur to the people in the passenger vehicles.
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) show that there are over 500,000 large commercial vehicles in accidents each year, of which approximately 5,000 of the accidents result in fatalities, these deaths most often occur to the drivers and passengers in the other vehicles. One out of every eight traffic fatalities involves a commercial vehicle.
The drivers of the commercial vehicles are usually not injured in these accidents because they are protected due to the size of the vehicle they are in. Unfortunately, due to the size of the commercial vehicle, accidents involving commercial vehicles usually involve multiple vehicles which leads to an increase in injuries and fatalities.
Commercial vehicle accidents can also be more dangerous due to the type of freight the truck is transporting. For example, if the vehicle is transporting hazardous or flammable materials, injuries due to the dangerous freight can occur.
Sixty-eight percent of all commercial vehicle accidents occur in rural areas, sixty-six percent of commercial vehicle accidents occur during the day under normal driving conditions. Weekends account for 78% of total commercial vehicle accidents.
Commercial vehicle accidents result from a variety of factors, including driver error or driver negligence. Other causes of commercial vehicle accidents can be mechanical defects or environmental issues.
Common Causes of Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Mechanical Defects: Mechanical defects can include defective electrical systems, tires, and brake systems, due to failure to perform regular maintenance.
- Human Error: Drivers are required to operate commercial vehicles with 100% of their ability at all times. Unfortunately, issues like intoxication, sleep deprivation and inadequate training often result in commercial vehicle accidents. Driving under the influence (DUI) is regarded as one of the leading causes of fatal truck accidents today.
- Environmental Issues: Road maintenance as well as upkeep and design can also be factors in a commercial vehicle accident. If this is the case, the state and/or local government may also be liable.
Causes of Accidents Due to Driver Negligence
Drug use was the most common cause, in 26% of the accidents, drivers were using prescription drugs or illicit drugs. In 18% of the accidents, over-the-counter medications contributed to the accident.
- In 23% of the accidents, speeding was the cause, the force of impact from a heavy commercial vehicle is made more deadly with each mile of increased speed.
- Twenty-two percent of the accidents were caused because the driver was not familiar with the roads.
- Failure to check blind spots properly caused 14% of accidents.
- Driver fatigue, was the cause of 13% of the accidents studied.
- In 9% of the accidents studied, the driver engaged in some illegal maneuver, like failing to use a turn signal.
- Eight percent of the accidents involved distracted driving.
- Although drivers often try to evade crashes, large commercial vehicles are difficult to maneuver. Drivers who underestimated the level of evasive action needed contributed to 7% of the accidents.
- Aggressive driving or road rage contributed to 7% of the accidents in the study. Because of the size and bulk of large trucks, drivers who take part in such behavior cause deadly accidents.
When you’re involved in a commercial vehicle accident it is important to identify all possible defendants, the driver may not be the only defendant liable. In some situations, employers, vehicle manufacturers, distributors, retailers, governmental entities as well as the actual driver may be held liable for commercial vehicle accidents.
If you or a loved one has experienced an accident with a commercial vehicle and has been injured or there has been a death, let our Personal Injury Attorney Rhode Island help you navigate the complex legal world of insurance companies, claims agents and legal proceedings.
You’ll find the help you need at the Law Offices Of Ronald J. Resmini, where we have been successfully representing people in personal injury cases for more than forty years.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers have all been designated as “Super Lawyers” or “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers Magazine. Ronald J. Resmini has earned the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
We have won millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for our clients. We are a top-notch Rhode Island Law Firm that knows how to defend complicated cases such as commercial vehicle accidents.
Call the Law Offices Of Ronald J. Resmini today to schedule your free consultation with a Personal Injury Attorney Rhode Island. Pick up the phone and call us now at (401) 751-8855.