Providence Dog Bite Attorney
When man’s best friend isn’t so friendly, people can get hurt. A dog attack can be a terrifying experience, which often leaves emotional scars in addition to the physical ones.
In Rhode Island, the law provides for strict liability of the part of the owner or other person harboring the animal in most cases. An exception would be where the dog is securely confined to an enclosed area on the property. Strict liability means that you will not have to prove actual negligence on the part of the owner or keeper, only that you were bitten and suffered damages. Furthermore, if you can prove that the dog had previously displayed vicious tendencies, you may claim double the amount of your damages.
Dog Bite Injury Statistics
These are some figures that illustrate the prevalence of dog bite injuries in the United States:
- Roughly five million people per year are bitten seriously enough to require a visit to the emergency room.
- Between 15 and 20 people die from dog bite injuries in the average year.
- About half of the dog bite fatalities in the US are children.
- Pit bulls and Rottweilers kill more people than any other breed.
- More than one third of all liability claims on homeowner’s insurance policies are for dog bite injuries.
- A single well-known homeowners’ insurance carrier received nearly 4,500 valid dog bite claims and paid out more than $136 million dollars in one year recently.
- Approximately 65 million dogs live in the United States.
What to Do When You’ve Been Bitten
If you or someone in your family has been attacked and injured by a dog, in order to protect your legal rights, there are several steps you should follow:
- Call Animal Services and have an officer dispatched.
- Inform the dog’s owner of the bite.
- Determine if the animal has had appropriate vaccinations. Otherwise, Animal Control will order a 10 day quarantine to ensure that it does not have rabies or another serious disease.
- Get immediate medical attention.
- Contact an experienced Rhode Island dog bite lawyer.
Dog Bite Damages
A dog owner or keeper, or a property owner where a dog lives, may be held liable for injuries you’ve sustained in an attack. Physical injuries are often painful and disfiguring, sometimes requiring reconstructive surgery. Psychological damages can be equally debilitating, negatively affecting your quality of life. They include phobias, anxiety, and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). To learn what rights you have to recover money from the owner of a dog that has bitten you, contact a personal injury attorney in Providence, RI,.
Free Dog Attack Consultation
In Providence, the lawyers of the Resmini law firm have many years of experience handling dog bite and other personal injury and wrongful death claims, and can give you clear, straightforward, and honest answers to all of your questions about the legal process required to obtain compensation for your damages. Call (401) 751-8855 today for your free consultation and to protect your right to recover compensation for your injuries. We cover all the costs of preparing your case for negotiations or when necessary, a jury trial. You owe us nothing until we win money for you.