Warwick Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you or someone you love has been injured or has died as a result of medical malpractice, you may be entitled to financial compensation. When you go to the doctor or visit a hospital, you should be able to trust that the medical professionals who care for you will do so with integrity. However, sometimes their negligence or lack of experience can cause serious complications for you and pose a serious risk to your health. The Warwick medical malpractice attorneys at the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. are here to help you defend your right to financial compensation; you should not have to bear this financial burden alone when you are suffering due to medical malpractice. Call one of our experienced attorneys today at (401) 352-5271 to set up a consultation.
Do I Need A Medical Malpractice Lawyer?
Medical malpractice can be extraordinarily complicated and expensive. Many different parties are likely involved, and finding out who is liable in a medical malpractice case can become difficult due to the complicated laws surrounding malpractice. Medical malpractice lawyers have experience with all aspects of the healthcare industry and can work your case smartly and efficiently while you rest and focus on your recovery. With their help, you are likely to receive much more money than you would trying to fight on your own.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. To Handle My Case?
With over 50 years of experience, Ronald J. Resmini and his team of lawyers are dedicated to helping injured people in the Warwick community defend their rights. Our lawyers know that suffering a serious injury can be a harrowing experience, especially when it was healthcare professionals who caused it. We firmly believe that negligent parties must be held responsible so that you don’t have to bear this financial burden alone. We will work tirelessly on your case, giving you both the hard work and compassion you deserve after suffering medical malpractice. We have over 85 years of combined experience, so we know exactly what needs to be done for your case.
What is Considered Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is defined as an act or omission, any negligence or oversight, which causes an injury to the patient. This can take many forms, but some of the most common cases of medical malpractice are due to the following:
- Failure to diagnose
- Misdiagnosis, mistreatment
- Prescribing or administering the wrong medication
- Failure to monitor drug reaction and interaction
- Discharging a patient too early
- Negligence or omission of process step during a procedure
- Failure to remove surgical tools from body after surgery
- Unethical behavior
- Birth injuries
- Anaesthesia errors
- Lack of informed consent
Unfortunately, medical malpractice in Rhode Island is not taken as seriously as it could be. It ranks 35th in the nation when it comes to disciplining doctors who have been found guilty of medical malpractice, which means that negligent doctors too often get away with malpractice. Every year, patients in the state of Rhode Island collectively received over $10 million in medical malpractice payouts, some years with well over $20 million. Less than a third of doctors who have had four or more medical malpractice payouts have been disciplined by the Rhode Island State Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline.
Who Can Be Liable for Medical Malpractice?
There are many people involved in one person’s treatment, which unfortunately means that there are many chances that someone’s negligence could endanger your health. Some parties commonly found liable include:
- Medical assistants: They are required to collect information from you at the beginning of your doctor’s visit or hospital stay. It is vital that they correctly collect and record your medical history, prescriptions, and drug allergies—factors that all contribute to your physician’s diagnosis and choice of prescription for you.
- Physicians: With the most important responsibility of your care and treatment, physicians need to ensure that they are meticulous about any diagnosis, treatment, and procedure they give to their patients.
- Nurses: If you are receiving treatment in a hospital or nursing home, nurses are the ones administering your medicine and monitoring your health. They need to correctly administer your medications, and be alert to your current state of health in order to deal with any emergencies.
- Pharmacists: When filling a prescription, it is a pharmacist’s duty to catch any errors made by other medical professionals. They need to double check your drug history and interactions, verify dosage, and discuss medications with their patients directly before they begin taking them. Unfortunately, carelessness can manifest in many ways, including prescription mixups and incorrect dosage.
- Hospitals: It is a hospital’s responsibility to hire only the best healthcare professionals. Failure to conduct thorough interviews or background checks can result in a staff of inexperienced, negligent, or unlicensed people. A hospital which fails to hire proper staff, or does not hire enough nurses and medical assistants for the number of patients receiving care, can be found liable for corporate negligence in some medical malpractice cases. Similarly, hospitals must abide by government regulations and have adequate safety and hygience protocols in place.
- Pharmaceutical companies: If a doctor prescribes a medication that gives you negative side effects, the pharmaceutical company may end up being the one liable. It is their duty to research and identify all possible side effects of any drug so that physicians can do their best in prescribing the safest option to patients.
If any medical professional fails to carefully perform their job, you can suffer severely. You should not have to incur additional injuries or illnesses as the result of a preventable mistake.
Contact a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
All of the medical professionals who you place your trust in should be reliable caretakers. When you seek medical help you are expecting treatment administered carefully and with compassion. Healthcare professionals who commit medical malpractice break that trust, and they should be held responsible. At the same time, you should not be the one to pay for their mistakes when faced with exorbitant medical bills resulting from malpractice. Warwick’s experienced attorneys at the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. are dedicated to fighting for your right to financial compensation when you are faced with a medical malpractice accident. Contact us today at (401) 352-5271 to discuss the details of your case in a free consultation.