Warwick Reckless Driving Accident Attorneys
If a reckless driver caused your car accident and injuries, you should contact the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd., for assistance with your legal case. Reckless driving is a criminal offense in Rhode Island and carries harsh penalties, including fines and jail time. It’s defined as operating a motor vehicle recklessly and endangering the safety or lives of the public.
When another motorist’s actions lead to your physical injuries, property damage, and expenses, you are entitled to financial compensation. The Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. will file an insurance claim or lawsuit on your behalf to recover the monetary award you need to pay for your losses.
Our Warwick car accident attorneys have been seeking justice for our clients for more than 50 years. We will stand by your side throughout your case. Call us at (401) 751-8855 to schedule your free consultation.
Examples of Reckless Driving
Any behavior that places other people in danger is reckless driving. By ignoring traffic laws or losing focus on the road, reckless drivers cause accidents that result in severe injuries and fatalities.
The most common examples of reckless driving include:
- Distracted driving
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes or passing
- Driving too fast for road or weather conditions
- Road rage
These can have a long-lasting effect on drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and other innocent people. Injuries from reckless driving accidents are typically debilitating and require extensive medical treatment. When you get hurt in this type of car crash, you could end up with expensive medical bills, chronic pain, and maybe even a permanent disability. Those who suffer because of a reckless driver’s actions deserve compensation for the pain they endure, and the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd. will help you hold the other motorist accountable.
Common Injuries Caused by Reckless Driving Accidents
According to research, 33 percent of vehicle-related fatalities are caused by reckless driving. Additionally, poll results found that 87 percent of drivers exhibited acts of reckless driving at some point in their lives. Injuries resulting from this type of behavior can range from minor to severe.
The most common injuries associated with reckless driving accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Loss of limb
- Broken or fractured bones
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injury
- Crush injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Since reckless driving often involves speeding, the injuries that victims sustain can cause lifelong problems. Those who don’t make a full recovery often can’t return to work. Some people require household assistance to complete routine tasks. Others end up with physical or mental impairments that impact their quality of life.
Whatever injury you suffered, our Warwick reckless driving accident attorneys will ensure the at-fault driver is held liable, so you can get the compensation you need to move forward.
What to Do After a Reckless Driving Car Accident
If a reckless driver causes an accident, there are steps you should take to protect your rights. If you want to pursue a legal case against them, your work should begin at the crash scene.
- Step 1 – Call 911 to report the accident. Wait for law enforcement to arrive and investigate what happened. They will write a traffic crash report that should be available for purchase within 10 days.
- Step 2 – Speak with anyone who saw the accident occur. Write down their names and phone numbers so they can provide witness statements to the insurance company.
- Step 3 – Take pictures of the crash site. This type of evidence can be useful in proving who is at fault and what damage they caused.
- Step 4 – Ask all drivers involved for their name, contact information, and auto insurance details.
- Step 5 – Go to the hospital. If the doctor refers you for additional treatment, follow their orders. Continue following up with all medical providers until you recover.
- Step 6 – Get a repair estimate for the damage to your vehicle.
- Step 7 – Hire a Warwick reckless driving accident attorney.
When someone chooses not to seek legal representation, they usually end up with much less compensation than someone who hires an attorney. At the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd., we know the tactics used by insurance companies to intimidate claimants into settling for a low number. We will not allow them to take advantage of you. You can depend on us to fight for the maximum settlement available.
How Car Insurance Laws Can Affect Your Claim
Rhode Island is a fault state when it comes to financial responsibility after a car crash. The person who causes an accident is automatically liable for the victim’s injuries and associated expenses. Typically, they don’t pay directly for the suffering they caused. Instead, their auto insurance company will provide a settlement offer during an insurance claim.
All drivers have a legal requirement to carry auto insurance with minimum liability limits. Those limits can cover the injured party’s damages. There are two main types: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages include all actual expenses associated with the accident, while non-economic damages refer to the intangible losses.
When you file a liability claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, you can seek the following damages:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Mental distress
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
- Impairment or disability
- Lost quality of life
Determining the appropriate value for non-economic damages is a challenge. The insurance adjuster must review all the factors associated with the injured party’s case to develop a fair settlement offer. They might use some of the factors below when they’re trying to calculate the right number:
- Type of injury sustained
- Time missed from work
- Impact on daily life
- Whether the accident caused permanent disability or impairment
- Length of the recovery period
- Total medical expenses
- Evidence proving the other driver was reckless
- Availability of insurance coverage
- Effect on relationships with family
Rhode Island also follows a pure comparative negligence rule that could impact the maximum compensation you’re entitled to pursue. Under this rule, your total damages will decrease by the percentage of fault you share for the car accident. For example, if your damages are $100,000 but you were 20 percent liable, you could only recover up to $80,000.
Things You Should Not Do After a Reckless Driving Accident
Just because the other driver was behaving recklessly doesn’t automatically mean you will win your case. Insurance companies try to avoid paying out the maximum settlement amount available. They will look for any valid reason to deny someone’s claim or provide a low offer. When that happens, you likely won’t be able to cover all your damages.
There are certain things you should never do after a car crash to ensure the insurance company can’t take advantage of you during the claims process:
- Don’t agree to give a recorded statement. The at-fault driver’s insurance company might ask that you answer questions about the accident while being recorded. However, you are not legally required to participate. The things you say could hurt your case.
- Don’t sign any forms before your Warwick reckless driving accident attorney reviews it. If you don’t know what you’re filling out, you might not realize you’re inadvertently signing away your rights for full insurance coverage. We will look at every document you receive and let you know if it’s necessary.
- Don’t admit any degree of fault. Even if you believe your actions partially contributed to the accident, you should never say it to the officer investigating the crash scene, the insurance adjuster handling the claim, or the other driver. It could ruin your chance of winning the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Don’t delay initial treatment or skip doctor’s appointments. A gap in treatment is evidence the insurance company will use to prove your injury didn’t happen, or that it’s not severe enough to require medical care.
Contact the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd.
Our Warwick reckless driving accident attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for victims throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts. With five conveniently located offices, you will never have to travel far to see us. Our team is available 24/7, so you can reach us when you need us most. When you hire us, you will receive compassionate, honest, and dependable legal services until the end of your case.
At the Law Offices of Ronald J. Resmini, Accident & Injury Lawyers, Ltd., we have more than 85 years of combined experience helping injured clients hold others liable for their careless actions. We know you’ve been suffering ever since your car accident, and we want to ensure you’re able to move forward with your life. We will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve so you can make a full recovery.
With our contingency fees, you won’t have to pay us upfront for legal representation. We won’t collect any fees or costs unless we win your case. Call us today at (401) 751-8855 if you were the victim of a reckless driving accident. One of our Warwick reckless driving accident attorneys will be happy to meet you for a free consultation.